So, when I first started on Pinterest, I started a board where I was putting fitness-related stuff. Mini-workouts, ideas for exercises to try, etc. I found one 100-Calorie Workout via feettogetherthighsapart on Tumblr that has since become known as “Teresa’s Mini-Workout,” because I try to do it every morning (or…every other morning…or, you know, whenever), and it’s caught on with some of my readers. But then, I came across what is literally the most magical workout I’ve ever seen:
The Harry Potter Workout! It’s set up like a drinking game! Every time X happens, you do Y (Y being some kind of exercise). While it doesn’t specify which film you should watch while doing this, I’m sure the Potterheads among you know which of the films will give you the best workout! The workout is as follows:
- A spell is cast…..10 jumping jacks
- Anyone is awarded points…..10 lunges
- Points are taken away…..10 squats
- Hagrid says, “I shouldn’t have said that”…..30 jumping jacks
- A painting talks…..15 crunches
- Someone says “He who must not be named”/”You know who”…..10 mountain climbers
- Ron says “Bloody hell”…..10 butt busters
- Someone cries…..20 crunches
- Someone says Voldemort…..5 push-ups
- Anytime a pet is shown…..10 bicycles
- A ghost talks…..5 push-ups
I haven’t tried this yet, but I can’t wait to! In fact, it got me thinking which other favorite movies of mine would make for great working out. I mean, if I’m going to be watching stuff anyway, I might as well get fit while I’m doing it! Here’s another idea I came up with using one of my favorite movies ever:
The Shaun of the Dead Workout
- There’s a discussion about smoking or selling weed…..5 butt-busters (each side)
- There’s a pop culture reference that doesn’t have to do w/zombies…..5 push-ups
- Someone says “You’ve got red on you”…..10 crunches
- Shaun says “He’s not my dad, he’s my stepdad”…..20 jumping jacks
- Shaun fights zombies with a cricket bat…..10 push-ups
- Shaun fights zombies with a pool cue…..20 bicycles
- Shaun has a 1-on-1 scene with Liz…..10 mountain climbers (each side)
- Shaun has a 1-on-1 scene with Ed…..30 jumping jacks
- Shaun has a 1-on-1 scene with his mother…..10 butt-busters (each side)
- David says something to compare himself to Shaun…..15 crunches
- Diane’s being an actress is referenced….20 squats
You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to invite some friends over to try this! I think an “Exercise Game” party is a great idea! There could even be a double or triple feature depending on the movie, and you could ask friends to bring their own! Tell everyone to bring a movie and create an “exercise game” with 10-11 exercises figured out, and the group can decide which 2-3 movies to watch! Provide healthy snacks and plenty of water. Get a big piece of oaktag and write out the exercises you’re going to be doing the way it’s done in the photo above, so that everyone can see them. Start the movie, and go to town!
Then, by all means, drink all the wine you want afterwards! You’ve totally earned it!
I’m doing it, folks! And I’ll record and document the party for your viewing, learning, and laughing pleasure here at Ms. In the Biz!
In the meantime, tell me what movies or TV shows you think would make for great “exercise games?” Tell me in the comments below, along with some moves to get us started!
See you next week!
*Videos courtesy of the LiveStrong channel on YouTube, except for the butt-busters video, which is on GetBodiedByJ’s channel.