No one likes pimples. No one. Not even this otherwise adorable cartoon. But it can be particularly difficult for actors to deal with annoying blemishes because your face is your calling card. Your confidence always takes a hit if your face is bumpy for an audition or (because you rock) that role you booked. Luckily, or unluckily, a lot of pimples are caused from superficial irritation and can easily be prevented. By simply changing a few habits or being aware of possible culprits you can help keep your skin clear when it counts. Below are some of the biggest offenders of superficial breakouts.
- The first may be your pillowcase. Dead skin cells, oils and other debris can quickly accumulate on your pillow and rubbing your face on it can lead to clogged pores. It’s best to wash your pillowcase once a week or change it with a clean spare.
- Another culprit could be your cell phone. As with your pillow, gunk can cling to the surface of your phone and transfer to your skin. Constantly pressing it to your face can easily clog pores. If you tend to have more breakouts on the side of your face that you hold your cell phone on we’ve probably found your biggest problem. Avoid holding your phone directly to your cheek to prevent breakouts in that area. It’s also a good idea to clean the surface of your phone regularly. I find that disinfectant wipes are very good for this.
- If you tend to have a lot of breakouts around the mouth area, try switching toothpastes. Brushing your teeth may be giving you a case of perioral dermatitis: an acne-like breakout around the mouth. Toothpaste can cause irritation to skin so try switching to a different brand and always make sure to rinse thoroughly after brushing.
- You should also pay attention to how often you touch your face. When stressed or concentrating, I always used to hold my face in my hand in one way or another; either gripping my chin, leaning my cheek in my hand or my forehead on my palm. Constant friction as well as dirt from your hand can easily cause flare ups – as it used to for me. Be aware of how you touch your face and try to avoid it as much as possible.
- Finally, I’m admittedly biased, but I always recommend natural products whenever possible if your skin breaks out easily. Many of the additives in skin products irritate skin. Ingredients in natural products are less likely to cause breakouts from irritation. And in some cases going more natural can alleviate constantly blemished skin.
Being aware of the above pimple suspects can go a long way in preventing annoying blemishes before they ever start. Try incorporating one are all of these tips to help you show up to your audition (or job!) with a fresh face that’s ready to rock. And if you have any other pointers that have helped you stay bump free, please leave them in the comments below to help your fellow ladies out!