I often find myself downtown with a random hour or two between auditions or before my next appointment. Here is my top 10 list of NYC actor “hangs” – all convenient to busy casting offices, great places to relax, look over sides or eat a tasty, inexpensive meal. In no particular order:
1. The High Line (Gansevoort – 34thSt, btwn 10th & 11th) My favorite park in NYC – a walk along the high line is guaranteed to leave you refreshed and inspired. A stunning mix – abandoned railway tracks and cutting edge, contemporary architecture. Take a stroll and enjoy the views or sit and peruse a script.
2. Westville – (4 locations – West Village, Soho, East Village and Chelsea) It’s been years and I’m still obsessed with their veggie plate – don’t miss the Brussels Sprouts! The Hudson (Soho) location is the most spacious and lingering-conducive.
3. Chelsea Market (9th Avenue & 16th) An old Nabisco factory turned into a foodie destination. A plethora of delicious lunch or snack options and a branch of 9th Street Espresso – one of my favorite NYC coffee shops. (And some fun options for that agent gift, you’ve been meaning to pick up!)
4. Blossom (9th Avenue btwn 43rd&44th) Their slogan: “Shrew Fast Food.” Great juices and vegan food. Small bar with stools set up.
5. Marriott Marquis (Broadway btwn 45th&46th) Huge lobby. Nice bathrooms. Comfy chairs. Great place to go over sides.
7. City Bakery (18th St btwn 5th & 6th) Famous hot chocolate and delicious by-weight salad bar. Watch out for the tofu though, delicious but deceptively heavy (aka expensive.)
8. Taim (Waverly & 7th Ave) Ok, this isn’t convenient to any casting offices but sometimes I just have a craving! The best falafel in the city – inexpensive and very satisfying.
9. Schmackary’s (9th Ave & 45th St) and speaking of cravings…. Sometimes I just want something sweet.
10. Bryant Park (42nd St btwn 5th & 6th Ave) Feel the grass between your toes, sit in the shade or use the World’s Cleanest Public Bathrooms! (And come back on a Monday summer night, sit under the stars and watch a free movie.)
What are your favorite NYC spots? Let me know below, I’d love to hear!