Self-promotion might as well be a dirty word. Unfortunately, I am realizing that regardless of the job I have, I have to sell myself or my product in some way. But how do you do it without annoying the heck out of your community?
After working up the courage to promote my latest project here are things I’ve found to be true.
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Don’t mindlessly post a link to your Press Release. Because of social media, we have become very visual. Most content is consumed on a mobile device, so grab your viewers attention with a great graphic (and let’s not be click bait, that’s just rude, make it relevant to your post).
- Be passionate about what you’re promoting. If you don’t love it to the moon and back, you won’t come across as genuine and your readers will know.
- Tell me why. Share a story on why this is important to you. It will help relate to your audience and make you feel less gross about self promotion.
- Share the love. Help others promote others and their projects. Yes, it feels like we are in constant competition with each other, but we’re all different, so why not help out your fellow human find their audience. Who knows, they may share your stuff too!
- Be proud. You’ve worked hard on your project. Now it’s time to share it with the world!
Be genuine, be nice and you’ll find your people. Now go out there and tell the world what you’re working on.