I just realized how soon my sons will be back in school. When summer winds down and fall approaches, I often move into “learning” mode along with the little ones in my life and Ms. in the Biz is a great resource for restocking my indie filmmaking toolbox. I mined some top resources to share with you. Whether you’re planning to shoot a film this Fall, preparing for the film festival circuit or getting ready for a crowdfunding campaign, Ms. in the Biz has got you covered!
Top Articles on Crowdfunding:
- Everything and the Kitchen Sink: My Approach to Crowdfunding (10 tips from Elizabeth Mihelech)
- Kickstarter No-No’s & Alternative Sites for Filmmakers (Aleisha Gore shares mistakes from her crowdfunding experiences as well as highlights of what works)
- Become the Queen of Crowdfunding (6 “sweet” pieces of advice from Amber Sweet)
- How to Create Your Crowdfunding Campaign + 5 Reasons You’re Not Ready to Crowdfund (Two stellar articles from crowdfunding veteran Etta Devine – she’s done three successful campaigns, so she’s knows her stuff)
- Crowdfunding Class: 12 Videos on Crowdfunding to Build Independence (This resource is from Seed and Spark, not Ms. in the Biz, but is just too good not to include!)
Micro-Budget/Low Budget Filmmaking Tips:
- Making An Award-Winning Feature with a Crew of Four (In this article, I share practical tips from my personal experience making SMUGGLED)
- 6 Ways to Finish Your Micro-Budget Movie (Beth Dewey offers a more humorous take on the experience of micro-budget filmmaking)
- From Big Budget to No Budget: The Joys of Indie Filmmaking and 5 Tips for First Time Filmmakers (Both articles are Alexandra Boylan, whose filmmaking tips are always on point)
- Lessons Learned While Line Producing a Low Budget Indie Film Out of State (Ashleigh Nichols shares insight from her filmmaking experience in Mississippi)
- Feeding Your Crew On a Budget Etta Devine, a seasoned low-budget film producer, actress and writer, wants to make sure you make your indie crew happy)
- 10 Filmmaking Tips from an Indie Filmmaker and Former Film Festival Programmer (Another article in which I share my top tips as a low budget filmmaker and film festival veteran)
Everything You Need to Know About Film Festivals:
- Film Festival Series – 3 Articles about the festival circuit: Part 1 – Invite People to Your Local Film Festival, Part 2-Pack Your Film Festival Screening Like Your Film Depends On It, and Part 3 – Kill It In Your Q&A, (Jennica Schwartzman shares her vast knowledge on making the most of the film festival experience)
- Sundance Film Festival: First Timer’s Tips for Having the Ultimate Experience (If heading to Sundance in 2017 is a goal/priority, you’ll definitely want to read Tanya Perez’s top tips for making the most of it). If Cannes is the film festival on your list for 2017, then this is the article for you: A Pitch, No Appointments and Meetings at Cannes Film Festival (by Melanie Buttarazzi)
- Indie Filmmaking & Self-Distribution: Lessons Learned (In this article, I share a few film festivals tips and more — definitely check it out if you’re considering self-distributing your film)
And last but not least in this roundup: Ms. in the Biz Founder Favorites, Part 1 and 2! Helenna Santos, our fearless leader, shares some of her favorite resources and articles from Ms. in the Biz, and you won’t want to skip 5 Websites Every Indie Filmmaker Should Know from Christina Parisi.
Enjoy reading through this wealth of resources and make this “school year” your best yet. I’ve got one little homework assignment for you: peruse the site to find more gems and share your favorite Ms. in the Biz articles with me in the comments or on Twitter, @IndieJenFischer.